Social and Digital Sports Media Summer Programme*
Study Abroad Semester
Study Abroad Semester
and Summer School
Take advantage of this unique opportunity to develop your social and digital media skills while studying within London’s famous Wembley Stadium. This three-week, 15-credit interactive programme is designed to immerse students in the life of UCFB, the global world of sport business, and the vibrant and diverse city of London.
A practical project involving the shooting, editing and publishing of videos on different platforms, underpinned by lectures on theoretical concepts such as media law, audience analytics and monetizing content will provide students with the fundamental skills to further pursue a professional career in the digital arena.
Sunday 16th July – Saturday 5th August 2017
Sunday 16th July : Students arrive
Monday 17th July : Orientation
Tuesday 18th July : Classes start
Friday 4th August : Classes end
Saturday 5th August : Programme end, check-out and departure
Classes are held daily from Monday through Thursday for a total credit load of 15 UK credits (4 U.S credits or 7.5 ECTS credits). Lectures are supplemented with tutorials and seminars.
FB469 Social and Digital Sports Media
This module considers the evolving digital environment and allows students to develop an understanding of how new technologies are used in, and impact upon, today’s media industry.
Students will be encouraged to explore how social and digital media can be used as news-gathering and information research tools and also as a means of publishing work suited to a range of audiences within an ethical and legal framework.
Students will develop a theoretical understanding of the adaptation of conventional skills to meet the demands of the digital age while expanding practical skills to enable them to work professionally in the digital arena.
Students will receive a transcript from UCFB’s validating partner, Bucks New University, for all modules successfully completed. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure, if needed, that credits will transfer to their home institution.
The academic programme will be enhanced by UCFB’s unique Complementary Curriculum™, taking learning out of the classroom and putting it into real business context, helping students to gain practical experience, develop transferable skills and build their global network through Executive Guest Speaker sessions and organised excursions.
Previous Complementary Curriculum activities and guest speakers have included:
• Jamie Carragher – Former professional football player and Sky Sports pundit
• Peter Salmon – Global Creative Chief at Endemol shine, former Director, England at the BBC
• Hayley McQueen – Sky Sports News presenter
• Dharmesh Sheth – Sky Sports reporter and broadcaster
• Alastair Campbell – Former Government Director of Communications and Strategy
• Susan Black – Director of Communications at Liverpool Football Club
• Lee Clayton – Head of Sport at the Daily Mail and MailOnline
• Wembley Stadium tour
• Media training at Tottenham Hotspur FC
• Match commentary masterclass with a Sky Sports commentator
• Excursion to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, home of the London 2012 Olympics
Our Student Services team is on hand to help throughout the programme, providing support in all aspects of life to ensure that students have the tools needed to enjoy a safe and memorable London experience:
• Comprehensive orientation on arrival, including: introduction to UCFB academics and services, stadium induction, tour of local amenities, guided tour of Central London and main sights
• 24-hour emergency phone-line
• Dedicated Student Advisor
• Extra-curricular social programme of evening and weekend activities, including recreational sports (e.g. football, basketball, tennis, go-karting), comedy nights, quizzes, community outreach, club visits and excursions in and around the London area.
Optional accommodation is available with our partner halls of residence, Unite Students at Unite Olympic Way, offering summer participants modern student accommodation located just a few minutes’ walk from the UCFB Wembley campus and facilities.
Newly opened in 2016 the accommodation is located on Wembley Way in the heart of Wembley Park, surrounded by the world-famous stadium and the countless shops, restaurants and bars that form part of the designer outlet just a couple of minutes’ walk away. Wembley Park Underground station is also just down the road, offering easy access to central London in less than 20 minutes.
Furnished to a high standard the halls have en-suite bedrooms, contemporary kitchens, free Wi-Fi and broadband internet, a laundry room and shared common areas including TV rooms, study areas and a large outdoor area with games tables and deck chairs.
Classic En-Suite Room – £169 per week:
En-suite rooms are packed with features such as a private bathroom, a comfortable three-quarter size bed, your own desk and Wi-Fi connected work space. You will have a shared lounge and fully fitted kitchen area to relax in with your flat mates, usually 6-10 people per flat. You’ll find plenty of room for your stuff with a large wardrobe and under-bed storage space.
Should you wish to apply for optional accommodation please complete the Booking Form (click here for booking form) and return together with your application. UCFB will then send your details to the accommodation provider who will contact you to complete their booking process.
Admissions and Applications+
To apply for the Social and Digital Sports Media summer programme, please request the application form.
Applications are processed on a rolling basis and students should expect to receive a response within one week of submitting their application.
Application deadline: 5th June 2017
Please see below for entry requirements and fees:
The Social and Digital Sports Media programme is open to students who have completed at least their high school diploma and are aged 18 or above.
For students who are not native English speakers, proof of English proficiency through previous study or an IELTS score of 6.0 is requested.
Please note that for non EU/EEA nationals a short-term study visa is required to study in the UK.
Programme fees for summer 2017 are £1,850.
- Tuition for 15 UK credits
- Complementary Curriculum™ activities, visits and speakers
- Comprehensive orientation session and materials, including stadium induction, academic policies, student services and tour of the local facilities
- Walking tour of central London
- Welcome dinner
- Student Services fee:
- Dedicated Student Services Advisor
- 24-hour health and safety emergency number
- Extra-curricular activities (some may have an additional cost)
- A one-day weekend field trip (details TBC)
- Dedicated Personal Tutor for intellectual, academic, social, and spiritual interests and support
- Oyster card for travel on London Underground and buses
- UCFB certificate of attendance
- Bucks New University transcript for completed course.
Fees do not include travel, accommodation, books, meals, international health insurance, visa fees and additional living costs and personal expenses.
Payment should be made via bank transfer in pound sterling. All bank charges are the responsibility of the fee payer.
A 50% deposit is required to confirm enrolment. The balance is due one week prior to the programme start.
For further details on the application process and programme fees please contact Mina Chakmagi at email@example.com.
* Subject to validation.